[Books] So I finished The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

I finally finished the book!

I've heard about The Alchemist from people around me for a loooooong time, but never had the chance to read it.

A teacher from an English class recommended the book. Some of my classmates gave their thumbs-up, and some cited passages from the novel as inspiring and thought-provoking.

One day, my aunt decided to let me borrow a copy.

It wasn't until I've decided to read it that I finally realized why it was a good read (at least for me).

The story revolves around a shepherd boy named Santiago and his journey to the pyramids in order to fulfill his dreams, or in the book it was to accomplish his Personal Legend.

The first few pages, I was thinking that the book wasn't that special. It was slow-paced, and there were ideas introduced that I'm not really that comfortable relating to - Some ideas were mystical and edges towards spiritual concepts. I almost gave up at the middle, but it takes time to fully appreciate the novel as a whole. As I progressed through the book, I became more and more interested to the flow of the story and the characters - especially the development of Santiago.

I like how the book did not only portray Santiago's enlightenment and spiritual growth but makes the reader think as well. It stated the most overrated things - like love, for example. But the message in the book tells the reader that it is not love if it is not treasured; that there is a greater love that one must explore and not take for granted.

I also like how Paulo Coelho defines his writing style - simple and direct, but meaningful.

Reading the book, it was as if I was also discovering my own Personal Legend. The book pointed out things that I usually take for granted in my life - like the people I encounter every day, and their contributions to my life.

"When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."

The quote stuck to my mind.

The quote takes a literal sense as Santiago believed in omens and those sometimes helped him in some of his crucial moments. But for me, what it really meant was to believe in oneself. Believing in my own abilities and limitations, and using my disadvantages to my advantages.

I think after I read the book, I thought about the things that I've achieved and the things that I failed from the past. I reflected on how I viewed the world and how I interact with other people.

It made me think.

I guess that The Alchemist is a read that I appreciate and may recommend to other people.

Just writing my thoughts about the book is not enough to appreciate the book as it is. I think it's better to read it yourself and take some time to think about what kind of messages the book tries to convey to the readers. :)

Mga Komento

Kilalang Mga Post